Why Implement Capacity Management
Of the many important reasons for implementing a strong Capacity Management program, two stand out: The high cost of outages, and the issues affecting system performance. Capacity Management, which is both proactive and ongoing, can help the enterprise determine whether its existing IT infrastructure is adequately configured to meet both current and future needs. It also encompasses planning so that existing resources are used and managed cost-effectively.
Implemented properly, a Capacity Management program can help the enterprise in three key areas:
- Analytics – Provide baseline data for calculating capacity;
- Policies – Institute policies that support business goals, while meeting any applicable requirements for regulatory compliance, disaster recovery, and performance; and
- Planning – Understand and forecast any impact from utilization and growth on business operations.
Continuant’s Capacity Management Process
Continuant provides ITIL-based Capacity Management services that include gathering data from the environment and then making recommendations and setting metrics based on that data, particularly in terms of how your system will need to grow in the future. Our proven best practices, combined with our powerful tools, can help businesses become more efficient using existing IT resources.
Continuant can also offer additional insights that help companies operate more efficiently by:
- Eliminating redundancies, helping save money and improve reporting;
- Enabling better decision-making, so investments can be made for the right things at the right time; and
- Forecasting future needs to prevent slowdowns and service failures that can negatively impact customer satisfaction.